This Report is a New 2023 Definitive Resource for Evaluating Startup Companies in the Smart Building & PropTech Space.
Around 1,266 startups are active in the management and operations phase of the global smart commercial buildings space. This has increased by 20% in the 2 years since we published our last startup research. 352 startups have been acquired between 2012 – 2022, 28% of the total. 77 are closed or inactive, 6% of the total.
Our definition of a Startup is “a private company formed no earlier than 2012 that is focused on the commercial and industrial buildings market, is not a subsidiary or an acquisition of a larger company and is often financed by venture capital or private equity funding.”
The report INCLUDES at no extra cost, a spreadsheet which lists all Startup acquisitions and investments in 2021 & 2022 AND a presentation file with high-resolution charts from the report. This report is also included in our 2023 Premium Subscription Service.
What does this Report tell You?
- Funding from venture capital, private equity and corporate backers has reached unprecedented levels since 2015, with $5.9B invested in 2022.
- Total capital invested in startups in the global smart building space since 2015 amounts to over $31 billion. Corporate strategic investors across the built environment are playing an increasingly significant role in supporting startups.
- The highest-funded startups in the smart buildings space in the last two years are shown below. These top 20 firms have each attracted between $225 million and $2.6 billion in total disclosed funding.
The information and analysis in this report is based on research and interviews with emerging players in the Smart Building Space. It benefits from Memoori’s previous reports over the last 2 years on subjects such as the Building Internet of Things (BIoT), Cyber Security, Physical Security and the Digital Workplace.
It demonstrates the critical contribution that Startups are making to the introduction of innovation in the Smart Buildings & PropTech spaces.
Within its 117 Pages and 56 Presentation Slides, The Report Sieves out all the Key Facts and Draws Conclusions, so you can understand how StartUp Companies are Shaping the Future of PropTech.
The report identifies recent partnerships with established players including building systems vendors, IoT and IT vendors, lighting suppliers, facilities management service firms and security systems vendors. There is also a detailed assessment of the ecosystems of 10 incumbent players, ABB, Honeywell, Johnson Controls, Schneider Electric, Siemens, CBRE, Cushman & Wakefield, JLL, Carrier, Daikin.
For only USD $2,000 this report provides valuable information into how StartUp companies are developing their businesses through Acquisitions, Partnerships and Alliances.
Who Should Buy This Report?
The information contained in this report will be of value to all those engaged in managing, operating and investing in smart building companies around the world. In particular, those wishing to invest in or acquire StartUp companies will find it particularly useful. Want to know more? Download the Brochure.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- 1. The Global Smart Buildings Landscape of Startups
- 2. Venture Capital and Private Equity Funding
- 2.1 Development of VC & PE Funding for Startups 2015 – 2022
- 2.2 Top 20 Startups by Total Disclosed Funding
- 2.3 Which Technology Segments and Startups Have Attracted Investors?
- 2.3.1 IoT Platforms for Smart Buildings
- 2.3.2 Digital Twin Solutions
- 2.3.3 Cybersecurity Solutions
- 2.3.4 Towards Autonomous Buildings
- 2.3.5 Sustainability and Carbon Management
- 2.3.6 Energy Management Hardware
- 2.3.7 Occupancy Analytics
- 2.3.8 Mobile Access Control and Visitor Management
- 2.3.9 Video Surveillance and Video Analytics
- 3. Mergers and Acquisitions of Emerging Players
- 3.1 Development of Startup Acquisitions in the Smart Buildings Space 2015 – 2022
- 3.2 Which Startups Have Been Acquired in 2021 and 2022?
- 3.2.1 Leading Players Expand Building IoT Portfolios
- 3.2.2 Sustainability and Carbon Management
- 3.2.3 Renewable Energy Management
- 3.2.4 Digital Workplace M&A
- 3.2.5 Consolidation in the Workplace Experience Apps Market
- 3.2.6 Visitor Management Software Acquisitions Augment the Digital Workplace
- 3.2.7 Enterprise Security Players Expand Video Analytics & Access Control Offerings
- 4. SPACs and IPOs
- 4.1 Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPAC) Transactions with Startups
- 4.2 Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)
- 5. Corporate VC, M&A and Partnerships with Established Players
- 5.1 Building Automation Firms
- 5.1.1 ABB
- 5.1.2 Honeywell
- 5.1.3 Johnson Controls
- 5.1.4 Schneider Electric
- 5.1.5 Siemens
- 5.2 Real Estate Service Firms
- 5.2.1 CBRE
- 5.2.2 Cushman & Wakefield
- 5.2.3 JLL
- 5.3 HVAC Equipment Companies
- 5.3.1 Carrier
- 5.3.2 Daikin
- 5.1 Building Automation Firms
- 6. Investment Outlook for Startups in 2023
- A1 VC and PE Funding for Smart Building Startups 2021-2022
- A2 Smart Building Startups M&A 2021-2022
List of Charts and Figures
- Fig 1 The Global Smart Building Landscape of Startups
- Fig 2.1 Development of Startups VC and PE Funding 2015 – 2022
- Fig 2.2 Top 20 Startups by Total Disclosed Funding ($m)
- Fig 2.3.1 Notable Funding for BIoT Startups in 2022
- Fig 2.3.2 Notable Funding for Digital Twin Startups in 2022
- Fig 2.3.3 Notable Funding for Cybersecurity Startups in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 2.3.4 Notable Funding for AI-powered HVAC Optimization Startups in 2022
- Fig 2.3.5 Notable Sustainability & Carbon Management Funding in 2022
- Fig 2.3.6 Notable Energy Management Hardware Funding in 2022
- Fig 2.3.7 Notable Occupancy Analytics Funding in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 2.3.8 Notable Mobile Access Control & Visitor Management Funding in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 2.3.9 Notable Video Surveillance & Video Analytics Funding in 2022
- Fig 3.1 Startup Acquisitions in the Smart Buildings Space 2015 – 2022
- Fig 3.2.1 Notable Building IoT Startup Acquisitions in 2021 & 2022
- Fig 3.2.2 Notable Sustainability and Carbon Management Startup Acquisitions in 2022
- Fig 3.2.3 Notable Renewable Energy Management Startup Acquisitions in 2022
- Fig 3.2.4 Notable Digital Workplace Startup Acquisitions in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 3.2.5 Notable Workplace Experience Apps Startup Acquisitions in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 3.2.6 Notable Visitor Management Startup Acquisitions in 2021
- Fig 3.2.7 Notable Video Surveillance and Access Control Startup Acquisitions in 2021 and 2022
- Fig 4.1 Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) Transactions with Startups
- Fig 4.2 Completed Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) by Startups
- Fig 5.1.1 ABB Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.1.2 Honeywell Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.1.3 Johnson Controls Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.1.4 Scheider Electric Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.1.5 Siemens Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.2.1 CBRE Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.2.2 Cushman & Wakefield Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.2.3 JLL Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.3.1 Carrier Business Relationships with Startups
- Fig 5.3.2 Daikin Business Relationships with Startups
Companies Mentioned INCLUDE (BUT NOT LIMITED TO);
ABB | Acuity Brands | Alcatraz AI | Allegion | Allumia | Ambient.ai | Animated Insights | Arcadia | Archilogic | Artisight | Atom Power | Audette | Aurora Solar | AvidBeam Technologies | Avidbots | BeamUp | Bitkey | BlocPower | Blue Frontier | Brainbox AI | Building Engines | Butlr Technologies | Canary Technologies | Carrier | CBRE | Clairify | CloudWalk Technology | Copper Labs | Cushman & Wakefield | Daikin | Datakwip | David Energy | Dedrone | Deepki | Defigo | Density | Deskbird | Droople | E.ON | Eagle Eye Networks | Ecosync | ecoworks | EdgeIQ | Einhundert Energie | Ento Labs | Envision Digital | Envoy | Eptura | Evolv Technology | Facilio | Flock Safety | FM:Systems | Fusebox | Geokey | Giraffe360 | Grid Edge | Haltian | Honeywell | HqO | HubStar | Ibis Power | Indoor Robotics | Inpixon | Intelligent Building Group | iOffice | JLL | Johnson Controls | Knightscope | Kode Labs | Kogniz | kontakt.io | Kterio | Lianzhang MenHu | Mapiq | Mclimate | Mews Systems | Motorola Solutions | MRI Software | Natron Energy | Nine Engineering | Node Energy | Nuuka Solutions | Oloid | Parakey | PassiveLogic | Phaidra | Placer | Planon Software | PlanRadar | Prosero Security | Pupil | pureLiFi | RapidSOS | Redaptive | Rensair | Robin Powered | Rondo Energy | Sally R | Satellite Vu | Schneider Electric | SecuriThings | SenseNode | Sharry | Siemens | Signify | Skyline Robotics | Solarize | Solytic | Spaceflow | Spaceti | Spot AI | Swell Energy | SwiftConnect | Turntide Technologies | Twelve Labs | Upflex | UrbanVolt | VendorPM | Verkada | Viboo | View | viisights | Visionary.ai | VTS (View The Space) | WattCarbon | Wattnow | Waylay | WeMaintain | WiredScore | Wlab / Sensio Air | Woltair | Workvivo | Wtec | Xage Security | XY Sense | Yardi | Yitu Technology | Yotta Energy | ZeroEyes